Friday, July 6, 2012

Duck and Cover! It explains a lot!

Have you ever just had a day? I tell ya, this has been one for me! First, I keep finding UFO's. Here's another one. The evidence that I may be an unfinished quilt hoarder keeps piling up.

Then I found this picture on Pinterest:

Those of you my age will remember this. It's a "Duck and Cover" exercise. When I was in first grade they started doing these. We had these "air raid drills" in case a bomb dropped. During these drills, we had to duck under our desk for protection. I remember that my teacher, Mrs. Horton, whacked my hand with a ruler because I asked her what good it would do to duck under a little desk in the event of a big bomb. You didn't question authority in those days. They also gave us dog tags to wear. They told us that we should wear them in case our parents were killed. I was smart enough to not ask Mrs. Horton why we couldn't just tell people who we were. It was pretty obvious that the tags were to identify our bodies. Can you imagine doing this to little 6-year-olds? Thinking about it, it explains a lot! I have to start all those quilts to see how they will look before the bomb drops! It's as good an explanation as any......

Well, back to work. Those UFO's won't finish themselves...

2 comments:

foodmathquilts said...

good for you! My summer plans also include gettting through some UFO's ... but first I have to clean up enough to start sewing.

Sarah

Monica said...

Not that you need any more help in coming up with new projects, but this post would make a creatively cool springboard for a quilt design! Maybe when you finish one project you can add this to the list of things to do! :)