Sunday, June 1, 2014

Another "Un-Named" Block and a Great Soup Recipe

Good morning! To say that I was not exactly flooded with responses to my plea for help identifying my block yesterday is an understatement. One person mentioned it (thanks Margaret) and she didn't know the name. These blocks that I'm making from triangles are blocks I put on graph paper a long time ago because I thought they would look good repeated for a quilt. I still think that about each of the blocks but I just don't want to (right now at least) make the same block over and over 20 or 30 times. Maybe I'll change my mind later. So here's another one that I can't find a name for:
I know there are probably names for these blocks, I just can't find them. So what are you guys doing today? I'm going to do some writing and make a couple of blocks for Gossip in the Garden. I've done so much on it that there are more blocks made than there are left to make. Oh, I don't want to forget...I found some old recipes and made this yesterday. It is the best Broccoli Cheese Soup and only has 5 ingredients. They include some high fat content ingredients but that's what makes it good! Here's the recipe if you are interested:
Broccoli Cheese Soup

3 cups chicken stock
2 cups chopped broccoli (I used a bag of frozen-I am lazy)
1 small white onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
16 ozs heavy cream (told you it was sinful)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Just heat the onion, broccoli and chicken stock in a medium saucepan until it comes to a low boil. Reduce heat and continue boiling for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender. Stir in the cream until it returns to a low simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the shredded cheese until it melts. Season with salt and pepper as you like. This is soooo good and you can freeze it and heat it up in the microwave. Yummy. Fattening. Wonderful.

Have a great Sunday! XO and cheery wave from Bev

8 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

Do you ever just look at the pictures before reading the post? I do all the time. I thought this post was going to be about putting a block together incorrectly because your block isn't symmetrical. OOPS! I've never seen anything like it, sure is interesting and colorful though!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Bev, I have no idea what your blocks are called but oh my gosh to I ever love them! If I was a better piecer I would love to swap blocks with you! You and I have the same taste in fabrics!
Right now in between cleaning and laundry I am hand piecing 2.5 inch squares to make a picnic quilt. There are over 1000 squares so this will be an on going project!

Jacqueline said...

I have no idea of the names of the two blocks but I like them. and your piecing ability makes me green with envy.

Soup sounds great but I am trying to take off a few pounds so I will pass.

I am working in the yard, the weeds are about to over take the house.. then tonight some hand quilting to calm me back down.

Marianne said...

I know nothing about quilting, but I will name this block Railroad Crossing. You're welcome!

20 North Ora said...

Another beautiful quilt square!

JUDY

20 North Ora said...

Another beautiful quilt square.

Judy

margaret said...

another block I have dragged into my computer, if you add enough I will be able to make a quilt and of course it will be called Bev, sorry once again do not know the name of the block, maybe you should give them all a name as there are other blocks with more than one .

mhart37 said...

I have a bunch of old quilt block books from my grandma. I was hoping I would be able to find their names, but no luck. I love these blocks though. They are so pretty. Your fabric choices definitely make them stand out!