Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My Latest Project - Hoochy Mama Border

We recently found a source for Mary Lou Weidman's Book, Hoochy Mama Quilts and bought them for the shop. It's full of instructions for "wonky" blocks that are cut without a pattern. Mary Lou uses these blocks as the borders for her story quilts.

I've been working on a little quilt for Baby Dylan with a sheep (although Gina thinks it looks like a dog) and I couldn't wait to try making some Hoochy Mama blocks for the border.

Here's what I've done so far. I just pinned them together to take a picture and show you. I love making the blocks, although it's kind of daunting to not have a pattern or specific measurements. I'm going to have to make the middle of the quilt bigger to have the right scale for the Hoochy block border. Just thought I'd share...don't judge the little quilt yet. It has a long way to go to achieve maximum cuteness!

1 comment:

fiberdoodles said...

This is adorable! I took this class from Mary Lou several years ago and it was a lot of fun. I was a bit challenged as I like patterns, measurements and precision. Happy sewing!!