Saturday, May 3, 2014

Gossip's Little Dresden and a Swarm of Bees!

Well, it's 5:10 AM and I'm starting my Saturday. Last night I finished a little Dresden block from the Gossip in the Garden quilt. I love the sweet vintage look that the embroidery gives.
Yes, I love the vintage look but I'm doing machine applique with invisible thread to applique these blocks down. Another thing I've been using in this quilt is Ricky Tims product called Stable Stuff Poly. It's a stiff, heavy paper feeling stabilizer that, when washed or wetted, becomes so soft that you can't tell it's there and can stay in the quilt. I used it for this because I'm out of (or can't find) my soft, iron-on stabilizer. I think I like it just as well. There is an English paper-piecing star block I'm going to try it on too. I don't mind paper piecing but I don't like taking out the paper at the end.
I had some excitement yesterday. I was working at the computer and happened to look out the window and my backyard was full (I'm not exaggerating here) FULL of bees! They were flying in every direction and flying really fast! Like crazy bees. When I say there were hundreds, I'm probably underestimating. I looked out in the front yard and no bees at all. Charlie and Lola were both sleeping on the floor in the sewing room and I had to block the doggie door so they would not go out into the huge mass of swarming bees. Thank goodness for the internet! I found a bee keepers' association here in Oklahoma City and called the president! He told me that the bees were probably just looking for a new spot to hive and if they chose a place in my yard to call him and he would come and remove them. I had to mail something so the dogs and I went to the drop box and when we got home, the bees were gone! Whew! I've never seen anything like that before. It was crazy! Well, I'm going to sew for a while. Hope you have a wonderful Saturday! XO and Cheery Wave from Bev

7 comments:

Podunk Pretties said...

OH My! You might want to go in your back yard and listen for humming. They will set up camp just about anywhere. On a good note, most beekeepers will catch a swarm for free.

Missy Shay said...

Good thing you weren't outside when they came for a visit!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Wow, sounds like a mobie! The attack of the killer bees! I have never seen anything like that, scary. I agree go check out the yard. You do not want the dog to stick his nose where he is not wanted. I would never have known to call to call a beekeeper.
Your block is do sweet. You know I love your colors! Happy Saturday!

Lisa said...

I was up at 4:00 a.m. with my hubby, he has to work today. So, it's now 8:49 and my house is clean, laundry done, and I'm about to pin baste a throw quilt and hopefully get it quilted, binding on and done before the Triangle QAL deadline at 12:00 midnight.... :)

margaret said...

like you I am an early riser but find by 4pm I am so tired!

very pretty dresden plate.
Never seen a swarm of bees no doubt they have find somewhere to settle and make beautiful honey

gilly said...

Ooh, I love that little Dresden block - it's so pretty. I'm with you on the EPP thing too, taking out all the paper is a mission - I must investigate your new find!
Our Ben-dog is fascinated by all things that buzz, especially the bees on the lavender flowers, so good thing that Charlie & Lola were indoors when your swarm arrived.
Happy Sunday, Bev xx

Quiltingranny said...

Oh my! I know the fear of seeing bee's. I once heard buzzing, opened my front window and you could not see the light of day. A queen and her hive had landed for a rest stop. My husband cautiously went out the garage door to find out the bee swarm had landed on an old Christmas tree. As I am allergic, contacted the bee man and he was out quickly and collected the hive! Glad yours moved onto another place!