Wednesday, September 17, 2014

My Strange Little Dog and Setting the Record Straight

I've been up since 5 AM and at the computer. I've told you that my Lola is an odd little puppy mill rescue. I think that she was not socialized and was probably born and kept in a cage while she was growing up to be a breeding dog. Well, at about 5:30, she sat beside me with the treat she got yesterday from the bank teller at the drive through. She just sat like this and stared.

I asked her if she wanted to go outside, to get a drink, to eat, to play toys....nothing. Just the stare and the death grip on the treat. This went on for about 45 minutes. I tried petting her, picking her up...nothing. Just the stare. I talk about Charlie a lot in this blog because of his "condition" but I have little Lola that I love too. Look at that face. She's a little "odd" and she's "big boned" but she's my little heart. I think she knows how much she is loved. Her little episodes of trying to communicate are so entertaining. I wish we could chat.

As I told you guys, I started the Love Entwined: 1790 Marriage Coverlet BOM and hit a snag. I have some block or something in my mind about how to attach the center compass block to the ring around it and then to the main block. Someone in the Yahoo group suggested that I go to Esther's blog and look at the photos of how she did hers. So, I was awake at 5 AM anyway and I searched her blog. I didn't realize that she had painstakingly created a version of the coverlet from a black and white photo in a process that took her over a year (just to do the pattern).

She enlarged the photo to the size of the quilt and then started tracing.

 At any rate, somewhere during this process (that she blogged about), she asked quilters to help find the quilt. I guess that hundreds of her followers were searching in museums. Well, I told you in my previous post that it was lost. That's not true. The quilt was found! It is owned by an individual who lives in England. Written pleas were made, as well as personal visits (by the person who located the quilt owner) with requests that this magnificent quilt be photographed or viewed or displayed. Well, the owner refused. Can you believe that? The owner won't let anyone even see the quilt in person. Just amazing that anyone would be that selfish (my description-Esther was very respectful of the owner's rights). I just wanted to correct my statement that the quilt was lost. My information was taken from information before the quilt was found. Just wanted you to know the facts. This is such an interesting project. If you would like to see Esther's process, her blog is HERE. Posts about this BOM start in July of 2013.

Well, have to go feed the birds and water the one fern on my front porch and then get to work! Lola has now laid down, still clutching her treat. I wish I knew what she wanted. Hope you have a wonderful day! XO and Cheery wave from Bev

9 comments:

Jane in Cumbria said...

What a darling little face! I can understand that you love her.

Lisa said...

That is so sweet and so sad. Do you think she wants to go bury it for later? That's what one of my girls does, you know they are much better after they are covered in dirt and bugs :)

karen said...

It's easy to love a well-behaved, well-socialized animal. But the love that you have to work a bit harder for is better, much better, IMO. Maybe Lola wanted a game of tug.

Barbara said...

Maybe she was trying to give you a treat.

Jan said...

We've had mostly rescues, 11 of 12, and they are all so interesting. You sound like me, I wish they could talk!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

So cute! Did she finally eat it?

paulette said...

Your little Lola is adorable...and I am so happy she now has you and a loving caring home! All pets deserve that...I tell you $%^**^% I see red when I think of helpless animals (and children) being mistreated!!
That quilt is INCREDIBLE!!

margaret said...

such adoration Lola is showing you on this blog!!
Amazing quilt, maybe the lady who claims to own it does not ar all that is why is cant be shared with others. Quilters are usually so good at sharing things makes me wonder

Tanya said...

Well, you had me at the picture of sweet Lola this morning, but the story line about the quilt is amazing. Heading off to read about THAT now. Happy Sunday, Bev - XOXO