Sunday, June 8, 2014

A Finished Piece and a Deputy in the Family

Hello on Sunday! I've been doing embroidery late at night while watching tv and having insomnia. Last night I finished the little squirrel block. This is a Kathy Schmitz pattern. She did 12 of them and, in her patterns, she includes an applique accent. I'm still not very good but it's fun to do. For this one, as you can see, it was some acorns. I need to decide what to do with it...make a pillow, a wallhanging with one square or do the entire quilt. Next I'm going to do some blocks from Gail Pan's book, "Patchwork Loves Embroidery". My sweet friend, Pamela, sent it to me.
 My other news is that my son, Eric did it! Yesterday was his graduation as a Sheriff's Reserve Officer. He will be the medical officer on the S.W.A.T. team from time to time.
At 44, this was the last year he could sign on. He didn't know it at the time but his Great Grandfather on his Dad's side was a Sheriff who was re-elected over and over. Great Grandfather lost his arm in a cotton gin and so ran for Sheriff to be able to support the family. Apparently, he reined as the "one-armed sheriff" for many years and was the scourge of bootleggers far and wide. Funny, but on my side of the family, he had a Great Grandfather who was a doctor. In our only surviving photo of him (which I don't have or I would show you), he has a stethoscope sticking out of one pocket and a liquor bottle sticking out of the other. Relative irony, huh! Must be some genes expressing themselves somewhere. Eric has lots of training with firearms but I will be worried when he goes out so he won't tell me until after the fact. Believe me, I will pay a lot more attention to the news about crazy people standoffs from now on.

Thanks, by the way, to everyone who has been suggesting that I send my No Name Triangle Blocks to Quiltmaker to submit to the 100 Quilt Blocks magazine. I did email them a while back to get their submission guidelines and they haven't bothered to respond. So looks like there's no danger of seeing me "in print"-lol.
Well, hope you have a great Sunday. I'm going to try to get some work done today. I don't know though. It's raining and it's a perfect day to sew..... XO and cheery wave from Bev

5 comments:

Derrith said...

Congratulations to your handsome son and your squirrel is DARLING. -Derrith

Anonymous said...

My 2nd granddaughter graduated from college in May and was a dispatcher for a sheriff's dept. while attending college. They offered to send her to the sheriff's academy. She graduated from the sheriff's academy and was sworn in this week.
Congratulations to our deputies!

Jane's Fabrics and Quilts said...

Congratulations to your son. And thanks for sharing some of your family history, it made me smile. Do yourself a favor do not watch the news you will get an ulcer!

margaret said...

you must be a very proud Mum Bev, congratulations to your son, I am sure he will take great care when out in his work. Love the squirrel so very cute, a quilt using various animals would be pretty spectacular

Quiltingranny said...

Congrats, your son will be amazing!